User interface translations
- If your online store is in a language other than English you can translate the Smart Customizer texts into your preferred language.
- You can add more than one language code (locale) as our app supports multiple languages.
- Integrating an app with the same language as your web-page ensures consistency and easy navigation for your customers.
- Default language code is English and it’s used as the base for translations.
How to add a new translation
If you want to add a new translation:
- Go to Preferences and find the User interface translations option.
- If you only need one language code other than default English, click Edit and proceed to step 5. If there is only one language code, it is always considered the default, and the specific name of it is not crucial.
- If you need more than one language code click Add new translation.
- Enter your Locale Name. You should use short forms for language code names, such as DE (German), ES (Spanish), FR (French), etc.
- Replace the text from the Translation JSON section with your translated text.
- Press Save to complete.
How to translate text
- Copy the text from Translation JSON section and translate all text lines as follows:
Original text example: "editor_tools_pattern_options": "Pattern Options"
Translated text example: "editor_tools_pattern_options": "Musteroptionen"
- Each line of text consists of 2 parts. The first part before the ":" is the key that must remain untranslated.
- The second part after the ":" is known as the value and is used for translated text.
- It’s important to keep all punctuation marks as it is in the original text, otherwise you will get a Translation JSON format error and won’t be able to create a new translation.
- To identify errors, you can use any JSON format checker available online. Some examples are here:
Tips & Tricks
If you accidentally deleted something or want to review the original text, just click "Add new translation" and find what you need in the text. Whenever you add a new translation, the default will always be the original English text.
NOTE: Which translation will be displayed depends on the online shop's URL. For example, if the URL is https://www.onlineshop.com/, it will show the default language, which is either the one at the top of the list or the only primary language available. If you want a specific language, simply add the language code to the end of the URL, like this: https://www.onlineshop.com/de.